Buenos Aires: Lionel Messi has yet to confirm when he will hang up his boots, but the Argentine superstar admitted that next week’s World Cup qualifier against Venezuela could be his final appearance at home in such a fixture.
“It’s going to be a very, very special match for me because it’s the last qualifying match,” said the 38-year-old captain on Wednesday night, shortly after guiding Inter Miami to the Leagues Cup final with a win over Orlando City.
Argentina, already assured of a spot at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, will host Venezuela next Thursday at the Monumental Stadium in Buenos Aires before wrapping up their South American qualifiers away to Ecuador on September 9.
Messi, who led Argentina to glory at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, has previously hinted he may retire from international football after next year’s edition in North America. The qualifiers for the 2030 World Cup will not begin until 2027, when Messi will be 40.
“I don’t know if there will be friendlies or more matches after (Venezuela), but it is a very special match, so my family will be there with me: my wife, my children, my parents, my siblings,” Messi said. “We’re going to live it like that. I don’t know what will happen next.”
In response, CONMEBOL posted on social media: “The last dance is coming,” alongside an image of Messi in the Argentina shirt — fueling speculation about his farewell.
Meanwhile, the Argentine Football Association (AFA) has raised ticket prices for the highly anticipated clash, with seats ranging from $100 to $500, as fans scramble for what could be their final chance to see Messi in action on home soil in a World Cup qualifier.